Re: kernel-* package names

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:56:56PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> > > I think it's a very good idea.
> > > This names is misleading.
> > > You should file a wishlist bug-report to any of the kernel-* packages.
> >
> > Why make all sorts of work (not to mention confusion
> > among existing users of kernel-* packages) for such a change?

Surely there wouldn't be that much confusion?
linux-source provides kernel-source
linux-headers provides kernel-headers
I'm pretty sure apt-get _already_ deals with that kind of change.

> Because we will have a lot of different kernels in Debian. We have 2
> kernels in Debian at the moment (gnumach and Linux, correct me if
> there are more). But this is going to increase, in the near future I
> think at least the BSD kernels and OSKit-Mach will be packaged.
>
> > Listen, I'm a hurd advocate, but I think leaving things the way they
> > are is far less confusing than changing them.
>
> I think these names are confusing, else you will end up with:
> kernel-1.2 (Gnumach)
> kernel-1.2.90 (OSKit-Mach)
> kernel-rc2 (Hazelnut)
> kernel-1.5.2 (NetBSD)

This is all very true. The Linux kernel's package names will have
to be changed. There's no way around it. It's just a question of
when.

Well, we could define 'kernel' to mean 'Linux kernel' but that's
a recursive definition without a stop condition. And I don't want to
deal with the Linux Linux kernel, let alone the Linux Linux Linux
Linux Linux Linux kernel. That's more Linux than you can poke a
stick at. :-)

> It also doesn't make sense that apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.17
> will download the Linux source in the Hurd (this is also part of
> another problem however).

How about 'kernel-source' virtual package, that by default grabs
the appropriate source for your arch? I _assume_ that other non-Linux
arch's kernels are downloaded, compiled and installed similarly
to the way Linux's are.

Then, under the hurd you'd get
apt-get install kernel-source <== Gives latest HURD source
apt-get install linux-source <== Gives latest Linux source
apt-get install linux-source-2.4.17 <== Gives Linux 2.4.17 source

> By the way I also don't see why the linux source should be
> a special package, AFAIK we have apt-get source for source packages.

Because using apt-get source doesn't put things in a consistent
place, it puts them in the place you run it from. I'm quite fond
of the kernel-package system for kernels and modules as it stands,
but I can't see apt-get source being used with it, since some
things (modules) can not be distributed in binary form, so
apt-get source wouldn't work. The Intel e100 driver for example.

/usr is under the control of the packaging system, and the
packaging system's layout defines /usr/src as the place for
kernel sources.

The alternative is a source-packaging system like RPM's
where SRPMs also extract themselves to a defined location.
eg apt-get source extracts the downloaded source to /usr/src/
debian/package. But then, only root could apt-get source.
Which is really a massive pain compared to the current system.

The RPM system has some merit, mind you. I'm not sure which is
better, off hand. That's a question for another time, and
another place. Preferably far from me. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.