Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:39:12PM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:49:09AM -0500, Norbert Veber wrote:
> > > Amusingly enough Jochen Voss made a draft of such a document recently
> > > that is still sitting in my mailbox. I'll flesh it out and add it to
> > > base-passwd later today.
> >
> > Do you still have this document?  It probably doesnt contain any
> > information not present in this thread, but it might be useful
> > nonetheless.
> You my find it in the bug report log for bug #50304.
> And no, it does not contain much information, because
> I did not know how to find out more about the
> semantics of user and group ids.

This thread has information about all the users/groups.  I was thinking
of updating your document or making a new one, and having it put in some
easy to find place.  Maybe /etc/passwd and /etc/group man pages?  Most
people probably don't know what base-passwd is, or that they should look
in /usr/share/doc/base-passwd (which would do them no good right now
anyway).

Some parts of it (or all) could also be in policy imho.

Thanks,

Norbert