Re: Mailcap, tmpfiles and master processes such as browsers

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:50:55PM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> I need some recommendations about bug http://bugs.debian.org/122768
> The same problem should apply to most other browsers etc. as well,
> and maybe dozens of other applications as well.

> it's easy to reproduce:
> - start a galeon process
> - get a mail with some text/html attachment
> - see the attachment
>   -> attachment is saved to a /tmp file
>   -> galeon is started with the /tmp file as parameter
>   -> galeon tell's the running galeon to open a new window
>   -> this process terminates
>   -> the tmpfile gets removed
>   -> the first galeon process can't open the tmpfile

> How should this be handled?
> Should the tmpfile be copied to another filename and be left over
> for some tmpreaper program to purge it?

FWIW, this is what I have in my custom mailcap file to deal with just
this problem:

text/html; (/usr/bin/galeon '%s' &) && sleep 3; description=HTML Text; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"; nametemplate=%s.html

Sloppy, but I find it to be a viable workaround.

Otherwise, I think it would be nice if mutt waited until the user
pressed enter before deleting the tmp file -- I've also had this problem
when trying to view msword documents through abiword when I /don't/ have
existing abiword sessions open!

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer