Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:53:38PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	FUD. Asking a question to recover from a broken package does
>  not mean an unsmooth upgrade. Indeed, merely treating the transition
>  from a package theat over writes user changes to one that preserves
>  them, while noticing that the users current file is different from
>  the one shipped, and asking them what to do about it, is a _smoooth_
>  transition.

Of course, if the user has changed the config file, we should ask the
question. But, if he/she did not change it, I think it is smoother not
to ask. Do you really disagree?

> 	Offer me reasons why I may be in error, and I'll implement any
>  number of historical md5sums  that'l be checked in addition to the
>  dynamic md5sum of the ``last'' released version of the config file.

What do you call the ``last'' released version? The last in potato, in
woody, or in sid? I think the three of them are important, for users who
keep an up-to-date stable/testing/unstable system...

Moreover, there are good chances that the latest woody version and the
latest sid version are the same, so this leads to only 2 versions, and
even one if the package was not in stable. Do you think that this would
be overkill?

But I agree that checking other versions would probably be overkill...

Regards,

Nicolas