Re: interesting times installing 2.4.17 in Woody...

To this, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> asked:

> Does this support the case where the user has 2.2 and 2.4 kernels
> installed, boots back and forth between them, and wants pcmcia to
> continue to work either way?

Yes.  This is why everything is tied to the kernel version number.  For
the 2.2 kernel, a pcmcia-modules package must be installed (there are no
kernel drivers in 2.2).  Therefore, the config-2.2.x.fix file will be
present to correctly configure cardmgr.  For the 2.4 kernel, the
pcmcia-modules package is optional.  If it is absent, the standard
/etc/pcmcia/config file will work with the kernel drivers (note that the
config-2.2.x.fix file will not be sourced when a 2.4 kernel is running);
if it is present, then a config-2.4.x.fix file will be present to tell
cardmgr to use the stand-alone modules instead.  This scheme also works
when different subversions of the 2.4 kernel (say, 2.4.16 and 2.4.17)
are being used.

The only problem that remains is that modprobe prefers to load the
modules in the kernel/drivers/pcmcia subdirectory *before* any modules
in the pcmcia subdirectory.  Herbert Xu and I have discussed this, and
we decided to move the kernel drivers out of kernel/drivers/pcmcia.

This problem occurs because it is not possible to *prepend* directories
to module paths.  Another possibility would be to hack our version of
modprobe, etc. to search the pcmcia subdirectory before the kernel
subdirectory when searching for modules.

- Brian