Re: Quicky about configuration part of postinst

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 12:12:35PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> Thank you for answering my prevoius question about the init script.
> My last question is about the configure part of installation script.
> What I have configured is a whiptail dialog to ask a question
> about configuration of a daemon. But I do not want that question to
> be asked again and again and again on successful installations.
>
> How do I test for "reconfigure" message by dpkg-reconfigure?
> [ $1 = configure ] matches every single time... ie. What is so
> special about dpkg-reconfigure?

dpkg-reconfigure calls the *config* script with $1 = reconfigure, not
the postinst. The postinst is called with $1 = configure as normal.

If you're not using debconf (why not?), I don't think you should be
testing for dpkg-reconfigure anyway, as that won't help you with
upgrades. You should take measures to remember whether you've asked the
user this configuration question before.