Re: The future of gpassman (was Re: gpasman: Intent to file for removal!)

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 14:05, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Paolo Redaelli <paolo.redaelli@libero.it> writes:

> > > Yes, plugins would be appropriate.
> > We can borrow code from galeon. It already has a nice login/password
> > manager.
> > And/or better we should turn it into Gnome Password Manager
> >
> Why not _GNU_ password manager? A gnome frontend should be just *one*
> possible UI.

It is Debian Password Manager(dpasman) because it is replacing gpasman.
We are currently putting together the design and trying to descide
exactly what it will do.  As it is looking at this current moment it is
far out pacing gpasman.  It is currently looking like it will become a
set of libraries(and possibly a server) that will serve up passwords to
apps for the user.  We are making it UI independent, though we are gonna
include trusted UI's for doing certain things that we wouldnt trust
another program to take care of.  We have already fleshed out much of
the project and it looks like it is coming together nicely.  Andeas
Rottmann is already added to our little group and I am going to be
sending him some of our mails includeing the latest outline(it is dated
by a few days but I will send the interveining emails).  Now if Paolo
Redaelli or anyone else wants to join and recieve these emails, please
email me and I will send them.  We would appreciate any help that is
offered.  Currently there are only 4 of us(including Rottmann) and this
project is shapping up to be one that may require more.  Thank you for
all the great help so far.  We will be checking back with the
debian-devel list everyonce and a while when we feel we have important
descisions to make that we believe will require the cousil of the debian
comunity.  From what it looks like we are trying to create a central
password repository that other programs can link against and store
passwords on a per user basis.  We are striving for security on this
project and could use any help that is offered.  Thanks

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted with power becomes, either
from human depravity or esprit de corps, the necessary enemy of the
people.  Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when the
people can be quiet and safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding
mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
- Wendell Phillips