Re: State of xfstt

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 06:14:23AM -0800, Jim Gettys wrote:
> An X font server should become the exception (for XFree86 4.x) rather than
> the rule.
>
> It is better to have the server rasterize the fonts than a font server, to
> provide TT fonts to legacy X applications (pre Render and Xft).

but if you have a LARGE font (such as some rather complete unicode
fonts), then when the application asks for such a font, font
renderer freezes for a noticably long time (30 seconds on my P4 1.5 GHz!)
If I am using font server, I can switch to console, or use other
applications etc..., but if the fonts are rendered by X server itself,
the whole machine is dead during this time (you cannot switch to
console...)

Not that I do not agree with you, but currently font server
has its advantages.