Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:15:07AM +0900, Tatsuya Kinoshita wrote:

> > It's impossible to tell if it can be displayed in the current locale.
> > Like Tomohiro said earlier, the ISO-8859-1 sequences are valid in other
> > charsets; they'll just display as junk.  Perhaps don't display *any*
> > aliases with 8-bit characters?
>
> And also, there is a possibility that ISO-8859-1 bytes are
> invalid in other encodings.

That was the original point: to not display locale aliases that can't be
displayed in the current locale.  This simply can't be done reliably.

We could even assume locale.alias is ISO-8859-1--so long as no more
stupid aliases are added, this is reasonable--but that wouldn't gain us
anything.  We do *not* want to convert them to the current locale and
display them "properly"--then a user might copy-and-paste these names
into their environment, which wouldn't work (they'd be in the old
encoding.)

> Maybe an option (`ISO-8859-1' or `only ASCII') is needed if
> ISO-8859-1 is permitted in locale.alias.

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting.  I'd recommend the "locale -a"
output pretend that those compatibility aliases don't exist.  Don't
legitimize it.

--
Glenn Maynard