Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:11:55PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > (2) 'locale -a' displays only usable aliases; none that can't be
> > displayed in the current locale or don't have correct locales generated.

It's impossible to tell if it can be displayed in the current locale.
Like Tomohiro said earlier, the ISO-8859-1 sequences are valid in other
charsets; they'll just display as junk.  Perhaps don't display *any*
aliases with 8-bit characters?

> BTW, do you think usage of these locale aliases in, for example,
> KOI8-R locale is valid?  If these aliases should be regarded as
> pure byte sequence without encoding (even if users feel impression
> that the byte encoding is a human word), the answer would be yes.
> If these aliases imply certain characters, the answer would be no.

I don't think *any* use is valid, at all.

--
Glenn Maynard