Re: balsa build help

Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:32:34AM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> > Indeed. Looking at the pspell headers it seems libpspell is a mixed
> > C/C++ library. That is bad practice anyway, but especially since
> > it isn't linked against libstc++.
>
> pspell is written in C++, but exports a C interface, I believe.
>
> Is that bad practice?
>
> Even if it is, we are stuck with it.  Surely the author will not
> rewrite it in pure C.
>
> AIUI, the only reason that this is considered bad practice is the
> instability (and non-uniformity) of the C++ ABI.
>
> > I would suggest reporting a bug against libpspell, demanding a split
> > in, say libpspell and libpspell++, or similiar.
>
> Bug filed by Glenn (for which my thanks).  But not for a split.
>
> How could the split sensibly be performed, given that pspell is
> written in C++?

If it's written in C++, it cannot be split. But anyhow, it must link
against libstdc++. I thought it might be consisting of a C part and a
C++ part (independent of each other).

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Dru@ICQ        | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
Georg-Rendlweg 28        | A-5111 Bürmoos | Austria       | Europe