Re: Desktop Entry Standard replacement for Debian menu?

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 14:22, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > > AFAIK, it's impossible to put translation of hint and so on in the
> > > menu files.  But i'm not sure the above standard is a good solution
> > > either.
> > >
> > no, it's not impossible to put translations. Look an example .desktop
> > file:
>
> He was talking about the debian menu system, not the gnome one.

oops, sorry :-)

> To the encoding question someone replied to you: Probably it's just
> UTF-8... this would make sense, i think. Are there languages that do not
> work with UTF-8 ?

I think all languages work with it, AFAIK. In fact, for GNOME 2, utf-8
is used everywhere, so I assume it does work for all languages.

> Does the gnome one respect requirements and targets?
> (such as console programs and dependency on packages?)
> like the debian menu system does afaik?

no, since the GNOME/KDE one is just a standard for a file format, not
more. I was just talking about the file format, not the other features.
That is, I was proposing you just use the .desktop format for the menu
debian tool, if at all possible.

cheers
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@gnome-db.org> - <rodrigo@ximian.com>