Re: Desktop Entry Standard replacement for Debian menu?

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 11:22, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:29:15AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:32:02PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > > I noticed there is a Desktop Entry Standard that is used in Gnome
> > > (2.0?) and KDE.  It looks like it could be very useful as a replacement
> > > for Debian's current menu system and is not distribution specific.
> >
> > And the menu system + update-mime need replacing because...? AFAICT they
> > work fine for most people, and a zillion packages already use them.
>
> AFAIK, it's impossible to put translation of hint and so on in the menu files.
> But i'm not sure the above standard is a good solution either.

no, it's not impossible to put translations. Look an example .desktop
file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ximian Evolution
Name[eu]=Evolution
Name[nl]=Evolution
Name[nn]=Evolution
Comment=The Evolution groupware suite
Comment[az]=Evolution qruplaÅ~_dırılmıÅ~_ proqram tÉ~Yminatı
otaÄ~_ı
Comment[ca]=Barra de _dreceres de l'Evolution
Comment[da]=Gruppevaresuiten Evolution
Comment[de]=Die Groupware-Suite Evolution
Comment[es]=La herramienta de trabajo en grupo Evolution
Comment[eu]=Evolution-en talde-lanerako tresna
Comment[fr]=La suite de travail collaboratif Evolution
Comment[gl]=A suite de traballo en grupo Evolution
Comment[hu]=Evolution csoportmunka-programcsomag
Comment[ja]=Evolution ¥°¥ë¡¼¥×¥¦¥§¥¢¥¹¥¤¡¼¥È
Comment[ko]=Evolution ½©.
Comment[lv]=Evolution programkopa
Comment[nl]=De Evolution werkgroep suite

And, BTW, this format is being used in GNOME from almost the beginning,
as well as KDE (I think), so you would be really safe using it for
debian also. It is fully documented in http://www.freedesktop.org

cheers
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@gnome-db.org> - <rodrigo@ximian.com>