Re: Potato to Woody dist-upgrade problems

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:36:37PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Suggests: xfonts-base of xserver-common is the correct relation.
>
> This is fine for the state that everyone seems to think of as universal,
> but it isn't necessarily going to work for everyone. Adequate information
> is not provided by a cryptic remark in a description field,

You mean like this?

Package: xserver-common
 The X server is the hardware interface of the X Window System.  Its job is to
 communicate with video display and input devices, and present them in a
 standardized, abstract fashion via the X protocol to X clients (X-based
 programs).  The X server largely relieves programs of having to know or care
 about the details of the hardware with which they are interacting (such
 things as 32-bit versus 8-bit color, the layout of the keyboard, how many
 buttons the mouse has, etc.).  The catch is that the X server must itself
 know the technical specifications of the graphics hardware and monitor, the
 keyboard layout, the protocol used by the mouse, and so forth.
 .
 X servers either need fonts installed on the local host, or need to know of a
 remote host that provides font services (with xfs, for instance).  The former
 means that font packages are mandatory.  The latter means that font packages
 may be gratuitous.  To err on the side of caution, install at least the
 xfonts-base, xfonts-100dpi or xfonts-75dpi, and xfonts-scalable packages.

Sorry that's too cryptic for you.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother writing package descriptions,
README's, FAQ's, or manual pages.  People ignore them all, and then
militantly declare I haven't told them shit.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Music is the brandy of the damned.