Re: VIM features

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:09:03AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:54:48AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > That's my major gripe, I can't cut&paste under X with vim as it is
> > installed by default now.
>
> I like them, and the same applies: turn them off by default and lots of
> people will never know they exist.

> (Aside: Pasting in X should work fine with gvim; it won't autoindent, etc.
> when pasting.)

Even when running in a terminal under X, ":set paste" makes vim behave
in a paste kind of mode, and ":set nopaste" puts it back.

In my experience, vi's autoindent (not even cindent in vim) is the
single most powerful feature vi had.  Although, back to the original
problem, you have to learn how to use it to keep it from just driving
you crazy.

I think the real problem here is that there aren't really any reasonable
defaults.  Different groups will want different features, possibly at
different times.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer.

I was perfectly happy having /etc/vimrc have a bunch of lines commented
out telling me that they were highly recommended.  I put them in my
.vimrc right away.

Dave Brown