Re: Vanishing /usr/doc symlink

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> manoj
> who can't figger why we can't just make a plan and stick to it

Because the plan was not perfect, obviously.

We will not be able to release woody (a fresh install) without
/usr/doc just because policy said it had to exist, but it would have
been technically possible and desirable to do so.

I'm sure most users will notice that a woody system works fine if they
rm -rf /usr/doc, and they will end up doing that, regardless of our
extremely slow transition plan. If we "legislate" something and people
end up doing something different, then we are legislating for nobody.

I just hope we do not repeat this mistake and change policy just after
woody release, so that packages should not rely on /usr/doc being present,
even if this means we have to deprecate the tech committee's plan.