Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

* Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> [020117 21:09]:
> Actually the FHS permits use of /opt by distributions you mean. Please add it
> to the policy if you have a logical rationale but then we will have to drop
> "FHS compliance" from the list of Debian's features. ;)

Why that??

If Debian had explicit policy to not put things under /opt (I do not
want to look if it is already explicit or only implicit), this
would under no way be against the FHS.

Even if the FHS allowed an distribution to put files there, an
distribution does not have to.

There is no reason at all, why debian should allow it packages to put
things under /opt. Everything can go to /usr and when something can't
then this has to be improved because this bahaviour is buggy.

Having /usr/local reserved for local installes software and /opt for
crappy commercial things is a good way to keep the distribution itself
clean.

And any user can change his path to whatever he wants and any admin
can change path in /etc/profile whatever he wants, so what is the
problem with the current situation in your eyes?

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link