Re: A suggestion for the woody freeze

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:12:46PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:49:52AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > For everyone else, they can use the publically-available tools to create
> > their own apt-gettable archive.  While lowering the barriers to entry
> > might give more people warm fuzzies, this is no way to protect the
> > quality of the Debian distribution.

> This may be true, but you also need people to do the work, and if there
> aren't enough (active) people in Debian now who are willing to do the work,
> then it's probably time for some new blood.  If we had all of the manpower we
> needed, then we probably would not have let two years pass without a release.

This makes two assumptions which I don't believe to be true:

* A significant number of people who are unable to find sponsors[1] or
unable to get through the current NM process would, if able, make
contributions which decrease the deficit of available developer hours
versus workload.

* Preparation for a release is parallelizable to the same degree as
package management.

Once again, being strict with the requirements for becoming a developer
may not give people warm fuzzies, but it also doesn't restrict them from
working on Debian, either.  I see no reason to think that someone who
can't figure out how to submit patches to the BTS now will magically
start doing so once we give them a badge and teach them a secret
handshake.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] I allow for the possibility that some good contributors have
difficulty finding a sponsor, but eventually do find one.  Even here,
however, it's useful to note how many not-yet-sponsored packages are new
ITPs versus orphaned or RFP'ed software.