Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:21:07AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> You might note the discussion on debian-kde of late, where Eray is
> attempting to set a precedent by installing KDE3 into /opt/kde3. Let me
> first disclose my viewpoint: I think this idea sucks, as you can clearly
> see from my postings.

Eray is being an idiot.

/opt is user's territory, not ours.  KDE is correct to default to using
/opt according to the FHS for a default installation.  But it is not
correct for Debian to put it there.

> My main concern is that we'll set a precedent here in Debian for this
> sort of behaviour. AFAIK no Debian package has ever touched /opt; in
> fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't even exist on a default install.

It should - but as of my current base-files, it does not.  /opt should be
created as the FHS calls for it to be for third party software.  KDE is
not third party software in Debian.

> So, please read the thread and state your opinions. I know it's a KDE
> issue, but I feel it affects Debian as a whole, since putting something
> in /opt ("SuSE and RedHat do it, so it *must* be good!"), would set a
> major precedent for Debian.

SuSE and Red Hat do not follow the FHS when they do so.  We do follow it,
therefore we stay out of /opt.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>              glDisable (DX8_CRAP);

A subversive is anyone who can out-argue their government.