Re: pcmcia-modules in woody

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> replied:

> as far as the auto-builders go, this is true.
>
> correct me if i am wrong on this: if an upload goes to an
> architecture, then the auto-builders will never try to build it on
> that architecture, but allow the uploaded version to be used.

Yes.  I think that you are correct.

> in _this_ case, since the -reiserfs kernel is i386 only, and i provide
> the pcmcia-modules for that kernel, the auto-builders do not enter in
> this equation, under the _current_ rules.

Yes.  That sounds correct.

> > My only point is automation of the process.  The lack of an ability
> > to automate this has been the source of complaints about the current
> > pcmcia build process.
>
> how would an upload of new pcmcia-source trigger the rebuild vs the
> kernels, anyway?

Well, it won't.  That is a problem, I'll admit.  Nevertheless, I cannot
see a way around it other than adding kernel source build dependencies
to the pcmcia-cs source, which means two things: (1) they'll almost
always be out of date, and (2) I'll go bonkers trying to keep them
current.

The only way that this can realistically be accomplished is for someone
to set up a special case that triggers the autobuilders for whenever the
pcmcia-cs source is updated.

> > Am I making myself clear?
>
> yes, but i think some peices are missing :/

Actually, all I'm doing is attempting to finally address the complaints
that I have received about the peculiarity of the PCMCIA build process.
It is a tricky problem, indeed, since building the modules requires not
only additional sources, but properly configured sources.  I have been
brainstorming today, throwing out suggestions, and trying to come up
with a scheme that has promise.  While my suggestion doesn't appear to
have much application to your resierfs package, I think that it could be
a good idea for other kernel-image packages.

- Brian