Re: pcmcia-modules in woody

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:32:47PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:
> "John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > i have no build dependency upon pcmcia-cs. instead, what i have in
> > debian/rules is a list of all kernel add-on modules
>
> Yes.  You use is the pcmcia-source deb, which contains the source packed
> in tarball form in /usr/src.  Right?

yes. the package actually looks for the tarballs themselves.

> My point is that if we want the entire process to be automated, for
> auto-builders and whatnot, your kernel-image packages must include
> "pcmcia-source" in its "Build-Depends" header.  Otherwise, there is
> nothing that automatically builds the pcmcia-modules-xxx-resierfs
> package.

as far as the auto-builders go, this is true.

correct me if i am wrong on this: if an upload goes to an architecture,
then the auto-builders will never try to build it on that architecture,
but allow the uploaded version to be used.

in _this_ case, since the -reiserfs kernel is i386 only, and i provide
the pcmcia-modules for that kernel, the auto-builders do not enter in
this equation, under the _current_ rules.

> My only point is automation of the process.  The lack of an ability to
> automate this has been the source of complaints about the current pcmcia
> build process.

how would an upload of new pcmcia-source trigger the rebuild vs the
kernels, anyway?

> Am I making myself clear?

yes, but i think some peices are missing :/

-john