Re: Problems with libsdl1.2-dev 1.2.2-3.3 and OpenGL?

tir, 2002-01-15 kl. 07:21 skrev Joseph Carter:
> I'm sending this to debian-x on the off chance that the next person to get
> bitten by this problem will search the archives and find it.  I'm not on
> debian-x, so please Cc replies if appropriate.
>

> Actually, the problem here is that Debian does not adhere to the OpenGL
> Linux ABI document which requires that libGL be in /usr/lib and only in
> /usr/lib, citing this very problem as the reason.  Of course, this goes
> against the unix way, so naturally no Linux dist I know of actually obeys
> the ABI's requirement.  And just to make life more interesting, several
> different ways of disobeying it exist, some of which are just bizarre.

> Basically, when you compile, /usr/X11R6/lib ends up getting checked before
> /usr/lib for libGL.  To prevent this, the nvidia-glx maintainer diverts
> libGL.so*.  He neglected to divert libGL.a, which is getting compiled in
> to your program.  If you're impatient, just rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a and
> recompile your program.  You can't use it anyway and I promise you won't
> miss it.  ;)
Interesting - it worked ;) Now I can go hit myself for not checking that
(indeed I find myself removing libGL.a all the time).

Oh well, thanks for the answer and your time. However, I am still
wondering how it can be that the problem does not occur when I write X11
code instead of SDL code. But finally I can get back to OpenGL
development ;) Thanks again!

> Actually, it's basically never a good idea to link the static libGL, it
> might be better to not bother installing it in future builds since the
> library is most certainly hardware-specific.  Older 3dfx cards, and all
> NVIDIA cards won't work with that lib at all.  The last I've heard from
> guys at Matrox was that they too will likely go with a non-Mesa OpenGL,
> and possibly ATI will as well.  I'm not sure about 3DLabs, but they're not
> much of a player in the consumer hardware market and probably don't even
> know we exist.
Hmm...

--
Paul Fleischer // ProGuy