Re: Problems with libsdl1.2-dev 1.2.2-3.3 and OpenGL?

I'm sending this to debian-x on the off chance that the next person to get
bitten by this problem will search the archives and find it.  I'm not on
debian-x, so please Cc replies if appropriate.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:33:00AM +0100, Paul Fleischer wrote:
> > > in some way. When I try to compile any program using SDL and OpenGL, the
> > > window/screen shows the last image, from the OpenGL program which was
> > > previous run.
>
> I am one of those nvidia-using-guys, sorry. However, I find that when I
> write code against X11, and GL it works just fine - so, I would say SDL
> is somewhat broken (hopefully I am wrong in this)

Actually, the problem here is that Debian does not adhere to the OpenGL
Linux ABI document which requires that libGL be in /usr/lib and only in
/usr/lib, citing this very problem as the reason.  Of course, this goes
against the unix way, so naturally no Linux dist I know of actually obeys
the ABI's requirement.  And just to make life more interesting, several
different ways of disobeying it exist, some of which are just bizarre.

Basically, when you compile, /usr/X11R6/lib ends up getting checked before
/usr/lib for libGL.  To prevent this, the nvidia-glx maintainer diverts
libGL.so*.  He neglected to divert libGL.a, which is getting compiled in
to your program.  If you're impatient, just rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a and
recompile your program.  You can't use it anyway and I promise you won't
miss it.  ;)

Actually, it's basically never a good idea to link the static libGL, it
might be better to not bother installing it in future builds since the
library is most certainly hardware-specific.  Older 3dfx cards, and all
NVIDIA cards won't work with that lib at all.  The last I've heard from
guys at Matrox was that they too will likely go with a non-Mesa OpenGL,
and possibly ATI will as well.  I'm not sure about 3DLabs, but they're not
much of a player in the consumer hardware market and probably don't even
know we exist.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>        I swear this thing's an AI!

<knghtbrd> add a GF2/3, a sizable hard drive, and a 15" flat panel and
           you've got a pretty damned portable machine.
<Coderjoe> a GeForce Two-Thirds?
<knghtbrd> Coderjoe: yes, a GeForce two-thirds, ie, any card from ATI.