Re: problem with debconf and start-stop-daemon

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:44:39PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:

> In quota.postinst rpc.quotad is started using start-stop-daemon. This works
> as longs as I know the package. Now it doesn't anymore. That is the daemon
> is correctly started but quota.postinst does not return anymore. It remains
> defunc until I kill rpc.rquotad. As soon as I comment out the line
> . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
> all works well again.

You need to explicitly end Debconf processing in the postinst by calling
db_stop.  debconf causes child processes to have an extra file
descriptor open and waits for these to be closed before exiting and the
daemon doesn't know it has this file open so doesn't close it.