Re: IBM "Key alliances" ?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:47, Shaya Potter wrote:
> > > There's more, if you replace the RH system they pre-install, you're
> > > losing the warranty on the hardware.
> >
> > Where does it say that? IMHO, that would be _very_ stupid on IBM's part.
>
> speaking not as someone who has worked for IBM, but as someone who owns
> a thinkpad that has been serviced.  When its been serviced, I take out
> the hard drive, and ship the rest back to them, and they ship the fixed
> laptop back to me, and I stick the hard drive back in.
>
> yes, they probably don't "support" debian, if you have problems with the
> software, that won't come under your warrenty, but they don't care what
> OS you run otherwise.  My thinkpad runs debian and has been serviced.

Same here.  I have had two Thinkpads serviced under warantee, and one a paid
repair.  Every time I removed the hard drive and provided enough information
for them to reproduce the problem and they had no problems.  They didn't even
regard it as strange that I sent the machines in for service without hard
drives.

However, if you purchase a new computer and run the OS that was pre-loaded
then you can expect that all hardware features are supported, and that you
deserve warantee support if any of it doesn't work.  I don't expect any
support from IBM if I can't get sound capturing or IRDA to work under
Debian...