Re: Do not link GNOME apps with libpng3

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:37:17PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> "SMR" == Steve M Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
> [...]
> > The fact remains that we cannot change the linkage of the library
> > NOR of applications piecemeal.  The changes must be coordinated.
> > In the absence of a transition plan, I see no reason to introduce
> > instability in GNOME by changing imlib.  If you have a workable
> > plan, I'm all ears.
> See Colin's answer. Change the library soname and shlibs. This will
> solve this bug.

It's a reasonable transition plan.

However, introducing a new imlib library with a new SONAME will not
solve Bug #128377, as gnome-help-browser binary is linked with
libgdk_imlib's current SONAME.

If you favour doing the libpng2 -> libpng3 transition by introducing
new imlib packages (and SONAMES), then all packages that link with the
current imlib package need to link with libpng2.

by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,
by Taxi to the Airport,
by Frontdoor to the Taxi,