Re: ITP: libtar - c library for manipulating tar archives

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 01:39:52 +0900
"Junichi Uekawa" <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> Why is it called libtar1 when it provides libtar.so-1.2 ?
>
> Also you only have -release 1.2 as the LDFLAGS option.
> There is no soname ? How about specifying -version-info ?
>
> I would drop the -release, and use -version-info 1:0:0 or something
> like that. But I would start with discussing with upstream to fix
> the current behavior. It will probably lack a lot of
> cross-distribution binary portability.

I must admit i am somewhat confused by all the different version numbers
for shared libraries, the libtool manual didnt help a lot either.

e.g. The definition of the age field in -version-info
current:revision:age

age
The difference between the newest and oldest interfaces that this
library implements. In other words, the library implements all the
interface numbers in the range from number current - age to current.

I must be misinterpreting it, because read this as saying
mathematically, age < current, and
age >= current - age, which simplifies to age >= 1/2 * current

So "in the range from number current - age to current",  could be
replaced with "in the range from (current/2) to current"

I think they intended to say age has to be less than current... i
decided to ignore age completely at that stage.

Anyway, your point about the packages version number is well taken, ill
talk it over with upstream and do what they suggest.

Glenn