Re: LVM + XFS/Ext3 (Was no space left on device: LVM, Gnus --> dpkg, apt-get ?)

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 09:59:45AM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  I have not tried yet, but am planning to experiment and see if it is
>  possible to *shrink* an XFS filesystem.  In the case where I have one
>  LV that's larger than it needed to be, I'd like to be able to shrink
>  the filesystem then shrink the LV.  Anyone know if that is possible?
>  If it's not, it should be!

It is not possible to shrink XFS filesystems.

>  I am very convinced that XFS is the *best* filesystem for Linux.  It
>  is way better than ext3fs for many reasons.  From what I gather, it
>  is also superiour to IBM's JFS, and certainly superiour to Reiserfs.

I felt the same way, up until a couple of months ago.  I had been
running only XFS on my laptop for a good 6 months or so, when suddenly
very weird things started happening.  Files and directories would
randomly become inaccessable, hanging any command that touched them.

My attempts to fix the problems lead to even more frustration.
xfs_repair cannot be run unless the filesystem is completely unmounted.
This is, shall we say, a major pain when your root fs is XFS.  I ended
up completely reinstalling, and am currently running only ext2.  Not
that I think ext2 is a particularly good filesystem, but it's certainly
the most mature at this point.

>  I've had no trouble with it so far.  I've been told that it is
>  incompatible with LILO; that it starts the filesystem at offset 0
>  rather than offset 512 like other filesystems?  I have not confirmed
>  this yet.  Anyone know?  It works great with GRUB.

LILO and XFS are fine together.  In fact, it wasn't until fairly
recently that GRUB could boot from XFS.  For the longest time I had to
use LILO because GRUB couldn't read my XFS filesystems.

noah