why is 'dbf' in non-free?

I ran a search for dbf (xbase) packages in debian and came up with the
'dbf' package which is in non-free.
If it's in non-free because of licensing issues with the Xbase format,
I'd like to know since I'm currently finishing up a dbf library of my
own that I had planned to release under a free license (either GPL or
BSD. Haven't decided yet) and don't want to run into legal problems
because of it.

P.S. Please CC me on any replies to this message since I'm not
subscribed to the debian-devel mailing list.

TIA