Re: Debian.rpm

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:11:14PM -0500, David B Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:56:58 +0100
> martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> wrote:
> > it would be possible, you know. an RPM that basically substitutes
> > every installed RPM by the corresponding DEB. that would rock ;)
>
> Well, what you're suggesting isn't really feasible ;)
>
> But it would be feasible to package up a Debian chroot in an RPM. Too
> bad it would have to be huge to have a reasonable subset of useful
> Debian packages :)

You can install such a thing yourself. Just download the source to
debootstrap and install it and you're half way there.

I have a production system that is running Debian inside a chroot
on Red Hat. The RH system was provided by an ISP and is too awful
to actually use except to host the Debian chroot. This works fine.
I can ssh directly into the chroot and I barely notice that
the RH is even there.

Hamish