Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 01:41:33PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> I tried to include the support for Euro and Cent in the console keymaps.
> Cent is not a problem. It is allmost unknown and AltGR-e could be surely
> used for this. But Euro is a problem - keymaps have different location
> of the ?. I cannot found good and trustworthy informations on the net,
> so more user feedback is required. What I have so far:
>
>  - Most keyboards have AltGr-e as Euro
>  - the French keymap (relative to US layout: <AltGr><]>)

AFAIK the keystroke you refer to, on my old french keyboard, produces the
latin1 symbol known as "currency sign", which just happen to have the same
position in latin1 (\xa4) that the euro symbol has in latin15.  Many people
use a latin15 font with a latin1 keyboard, hence this coincidental mapping.

There are french keymaps somewhere that should give better euro support I
guess.  There's already an entry in the BTS.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: