Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

On Saturday 29 December 2001 14:14, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Lenart Janos a écrit :
> > As you might already have noticed Debian begun to bloat - so many
> > unneeded, unused, unmaintained(!) packages.
>
> I don't think all these packages should be swept out. Unmaintained
> packages that don't have bunches of bugs shouldn't be a problem, for
> example.
>
> A better solution, IMO, would be to evaluate which packages should be
> removed from the archive (and I believe there are not very much).

The correct way to remove them is to move them back to unstable, right?
That's what you mean, right? One needs to update the filter to get into
testing, of course...

> To do
> that, one could consider the orphaned packages that have important bugs,
> ore more than N (define N as you like) normal bugs. A large part of them
> could certainly be replaced by other (maintained) ones. Then, a
> Replaces: field should be added in those packages - or maybe replaces is
> too strong and we would have to add another field.
>
> For the other ones (unmaintained, buggy, AND without replacement), the
> users should be clearly informed when installing the, and maybe the
> package could be removed from the archive after 2 releases.

Yes, wether it is after 1 or 2 releases... IMHO, i think it is important that
the Debian Project should decide what is good for the distribution... all
packages that do not meet 'our' standard can be moved into "unstable"
and being in unstable for some time, they move into the section
"unmaintained", which is not part of the dist, but is part of the Debian
archive...

Egon