Re: RFC: Keywords instead of Section

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:20:19PM -0800, Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> was heard to say:
> >   I wasn't referring to my current categorization code.
> >   I was referring to the code that parses the "Task" header, which is a
> > similar task (no pun) to what you seemed to be describing.
> >
> >   OTOH, if you can find a way to speed it up significantly, that would
> > be great. :)
>
>   sorry, I don't know what you are talking about, where are your
> experiments with loading control fields?

  libapt has some hooks which you can use to read an arbitrary field
from the package control information.

  Unfortunately, the code I use to do this has terrible performance, and
I think it's due to the behavior of the apt functions.  (not necessarily
apt's fault, I don't think those routines were intended for this)

>   as far as parsing goes I see no reason it should be much slower when
> you have types and keywords instead of just keywords. it might be
> problematic to try to use it using current data structures but I
> assume/hope these will be replaced or at least significantly changed.

  Sure, of course.

>   I mean current debian packaging system is close to perfect as far as
> the data go (packages and data about packages are very good and
> consistent) but IMO the underlying data structures and the programs
> itslef could use a little bit of re-desing.

  I think everyone knows that we need some design changes, it's just
a matter of making them (whatever happened to dpkgv2/herring?) and
getting everyone to use them (which will probably take a long time..)

  [snip more on this topic -- do your bit to fight thread drift today!]

  Daniel

|    Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.    |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/