Grokking KDE installation (Re: KDE directory layout)

Hi Ivan,

On Monday 05 November 2001 21:44, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> it's more than that.  let me try to explain this.
>
> It would work if we had a different prefix for each installation...ie
>
> *everything* was dumped under /opt/kde2 or /usr/local/kde2 for kde2
> *everything* was dumped under /opt/kde3 or /usr/local/kde3 for kde3
>
> that would work great as nothing would conflict however out of the box this
> would not work and also would break fhs..etc...

I don't see why out of this box this wouldn't work. This should work since
that is how a kde hacker does a local kde compilation for CVS HEAD beside his
stable KDE installation.

It *would* work, but you can't use either /opt or /usr/local as KDE
installation dir because it would break fhs.

> to follow fhs,deb policy,etc... we dump things in their proper locations
> using a prefix of /usr so we end up with:
>
>   /usr/bin             -binaries-
>   /usr/lib             -libraries-
>   /usr/lib/kde2        -modules-
>   /usr/share/apps      -app specific dirs-
>   /usr/share/applnk    -.desktop menu/info files-
>   /etc/kde2            -conf dir-

However, you can still use a directory, say /usr/lib/kde for the top level.
(Ignoring the whole KDE2/KDE3 issue for a moment because I've got something
else on my mind)

then

/usr/lib/kde/bin
/usr/lib/kde/lib
/usr/lib/kde/share -> /usr/share/kde
/usr/lib/kde/etc -> /etc/kde

I'm just writing this to show that there is more than one way to do it. IMHO
for large subsystems it's better to use a directory layout like this. And
there are packages that do similar organization in debian.

Comments welcome,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>