Re: Rsync on servers (was Re: RFC: Checking for updates)

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 06:15:43AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Someone mentioned that they were working on pregenerating the checksum
> data and storing it alongside the files on disk, to cut down on server
> processing.  For files which will be rsync'd many times, this seems like
> it would be a win.

Last time I heard this idea, it was pointed out that the checksum data is 4
or 8 times larger than the file it is checksumming.

I don't think archive maintainers would like that...

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/