Re: learn procmail and quit whining already (was Re: Debian lists and Cc'ing people in replies in addition to the list)

* On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 05:57:28PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > How? Quite simple:
> >
> > if (mail is from list1|list2|list3|etc.) {
> >
> > 	weed out duplicates; # keep cache from two week's worth
>
> You realize that is extremely annoying? If you have a discussion
> that is cross posted to multiple listed you will have the discussion
> split over multiple folders depending on through which list you
> get each email first, which tends to be reasonably random.

1) cross-posting is at least as controversial a practice as CC'ing,

2) you have the option of weeding duplicates only on mail that concerns you:

        if (mail is To: me OR Cc: me OR contains my name in its body
                OR has my hostname in References:) {

			weed out duplicates; # keep cache from two week's worth
			drop in my inbox;
        }

3) you have the option of having a separate dupe cache for each mailing
list:

	:0 Whc: msgid.lock
	| formail -D 8192 msgid.$LIST

> People need to realize that cc'ing people when unwanted is just
> annoying behaviour and should not be done. Kludging around that
> with procmail recipes and other tricks only introduces other
> problems.

Having a partial knowledge of mail filtering introduces problems.

--
    PHEDRE: Il suffit que ma main l'ait une fois touchée,
            Je l'ai rendue horrible à ses yeux inhumains ;