Debian lists and Cc'ing people in replies in addition to the list

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>:
> Please take your complaints private, Branden, where they belong.

Actually, no, they should be in public, to educate everyone about this.
Most people sending Cc's on list mails are doing it out of ignorance.
By keeping these discussions public, many of them will realize the
error of their ways. In the long run, this improves quality of life
for everyone.

As far as the Mail-Followup-To header and its RFC are concerned, they're
merely a tool to make things easier for the lazy people. On Debian
lists, we have had for years a policy of discouraging the Cc's. People
can either check and edit their To and Cc headers by hand, or they can
have a mail program that understands Mail-Followup-To, or they can do
it in some other way.

>From Debian Developer's Reference, 4.1 Mailing lists:

    When replying to messages on the mailing list, please do not send
    a carbon copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly
    request to be copied.  Anyone who posts to a mailing list should
    read it to see the responses.

--
Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>