Re: [OT] lazy maintainers

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:26:49PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> no, it's because most of us think that getting the job done at all is
> far more important than WHO does it.

Sounds like it's pretty important WHO does the job in question for you,
seems like a case of who YOU want to do the job the way YOU want to do
it.

> as far as mozilla is concerned, he may as well be.

Pah! You assume that because he is not uploading like a crazed rabbit
that he is sitting on his ass doing nothing. Did you even stop to
consider that maby Myth has not completed the work he wants done on the
package?

> OTOH, i think it's perfectly acceptable.

What combination of hallucinagens brought you to that conclusion? Why in
hells name are you trying to lead a mass revolt that blatantly
disregards Debian policy?

> does have fairly valid reasons - that's irrelevant), and now we have
> someone who IS willing to do that job.  let him do it.

For crying out loud! Use Kitame's unoffical Debs if you care so much!

> in precisely what manner is he maintaining it? by doing absolutely
> nothing?

As I said above, don't dare assume because he is not uploading version
of dubious quality like a crazed rabbit that he is doing nothing.

> nope. you showed nothing. you made an assertion, but that assertion is
> just plain wrong.

Your baseless assumption that Myth is doing nothing, how can you be so
sure?

> I say the same thing for MY packages. if someone wants to NMU my
> packages, i'm not going to stop them. i may even use their changes in
> my next upload (or i may not - i certainly don't feel any obligation to
> keep their stuff) or i may orphan it if i realise that i'm not living
> up to my duties as maintainer of that package. debian is more important
> than my alleged "ownership" of any packages.

Sure, so you spend months slogging away at building a package, to be
greeted with people running you down for your hard work. Not all
maintainers like to pelt out a half baked Deb into sid every other week.

--
Peter Joseph                               Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps@debian.org