Re: real LSB compliance

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 12:45:49PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>Previously Brendan O'Dea wrote:
>> I'd quite like to see this implemented, although it would be quite
>> tricky to implement from an upgrade perspective.
>
>Not really, you just change all the update-rc.d calls in the postinst
>and a system should automatically slowly migrate to that setup.

update-rc.d doesn't touch existing symlinks, so even if the new package
only puts the start link in rc5.d the old links in rc[2-5].d won't be
changed.

If this change were to be made, it would be nice to see update-rc.d have
a way to define the run levels rather than explicitly providing the
numbers, something like:

    update-rc.d foo install multi,net,local,gui

to install in run-levels 2-5, although allowing a config file to define
those actual levels, with a default of:

    multi: 2
    net:   3
    gui:   5

although setting all of those to "2,3,4,5" would give the current
behavour.

Additionally, removing the explicit numbering would be nice allowing
something like:

    update-rc.d xdm install gui after xfs

this would assume some basic dependencies (everything less than the
current default of 20) and the possibility that some existsing links
may need renumbering on occaision.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633