Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:58:05 +0200 (CEST),
jcdubacq@info.unicaen.fr wrote:

> They all use ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-8859-15, no difference). Well, they
> won't change their names. So Debian must increase its support of UTF-8.

Do you mean, they won't change Maintainer: field?  I want them to change.
Otherwise, all discussions about Description: field will be in vain.

ASCII is international (i.e., shared all around the world) but ISO-8859-1
is a local encoding for western-European languages, just like EUC-JP is
a local encoding for Japanese language.

> Debian must strive for i18n support. Of course, you are aware of it :)

Yes, but this problem is different from the problem I am discussing now.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/