Re: Debugging g++-3.0 programs

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:43:28PM -0400, David A. Greene wrote:
> Eray Ozkural wrote:
>

> > In my experience, I found out that none of the C++ debuggers I use worked
> > with the new g++ version. I've tried ddd, insight and kdbg which all seemed
> > to fail at some common debugging operations. I don't think I've been able to
> > watch or display anything properly. And of course, none of them seem to be
> > able to demangle much in the code that I work on.
>
> I have found that the current gdb in testing (19990928) cannot
> understand programs compiled by the current gcc in testing (2.95.4),
> so the problem already exists in the archive. Most things work,
> but one cannot invoke a method on an object, a pretty severe
> shortcoming.
>
> Why is the gdb in Debian testing so old? I see on update-excuses
> that it has build problems on sparc and arm and bugs in every other
> architecture.  These bugs are either sparc build failures (redundant
> with update-excuses) or packaging problems.
>
> So...what is the maintainer going to do about these?  The youngest
> serious/important bug is 56 days old.  The sparc build failure bug is
> 133 days old!
>
> I don't want to harp on Vincent, but an update covering what is
> happening would be helpful.  Debian will certainly want a working
> gdb for woody!

I adopted GDB a week ago.  There'll be a new version in the archive
soon.  C++ support is in bad shape, still - if you want it to improve
you have to join the effort on the gdb lists to make it go - but that's
only for 5.0.

I had no idea 4.18 is still in testing.  Don't use it!  Get 5.0 from
unstable until I fix the build failures!

Dan