Re: Debugging g++-3.0 programs

Eray Ozkural wrote:

In my experience, I found out that none of the C++ debuggers I use worked with the new g++ version. I've tried ddd, insight and kdbg which all seemed to fail at some common debugging operations. I don't think I've been able to watch or display anything properly. And of course, none of them seem to be able to demangle much in the code that I work on.

I have found that the current gdb in testing (19990928) cannot
understand programs compiled by the current gcc in testing (2.95.4),
so the problem already exists in the archive. Most things work,
but one cannot invoke a method on an object, a pretty severe
shortcoming.

Why is the gdb in Debian testing so old? I see on update-excuses
that it has build problems on sparc and arm and bugs in every other
architecture.  These bugs are either sparc build failures (redundant
with update-excuses) or packaging problems.

So...what is the maintainer going to do about these?  The youngest
serious/important bug is 56 days old.  The sparc build failure bug is
133 days old!

I don't want to harp on Vincent, but an update covering what is
happening would be helpful.  Debian will certainly want a working
gdb for woody!

What do you suggest to debug C++ programs compiled under g++-3.0?

I'd also like to hear opinions on this.  I have a feeling there is
no Free alternative to gdb.

-Dave