Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 05:28:01PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 03-Jul-01, 17:50 (CDT), Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:40:05PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> >
> > the benifit is leaving what all 4 of those runlevels do solely up to
> > YOU not some so called standards body.
>
> <sarcasm>So we should get rid of the FHS as well? Perhaps the POSIX
> standard?.  Certainly Debian Policy must go!</sarcasm>

you should really read debian policy.  a great deal of it is there to
protect the admin's ability to configure things as he wants.
examples:

packages are not allowed to clobber config files

initscripts must be config files so the admin can alter them and not
have changed blown away

[many more]

the FHS is giving me MORE control over things not less.  by mandating
that arch independent data such as man pages and docmentation go in
/usr/share i can easily make that an nfs export for example.

> Okay, I've read further down in the replies and see some valid
> points. But "it restricts what I can do" is not a useful objection, as
> that's pretty much what *all* standards do: Limit choices so that the
> user can rely on specific/consistent behaviour. As a practical matter,

s/user/developer/  the FHS is a good standard since it enforces
distributions to set things up in a way that is more useful to me the
admin. i am thus free to do things which like splitting the tree apart
into NFS mounts and such.

> I'd bet that very few people mess much with the default runlevels, and
> I'd further bet that most who do end up with something very similar to
> the LSB proposed system.

so what?  the choice for how runlevels are to be configured belongs to
the admin, not the lsb.

furthermore this `runlevel == X login' nonsense won't work on debian
anyway, unlike redhat we allow xdm to be removed, it won't necessarily
get installed by default.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/