Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 07:09:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:46:55PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > we leave runlevels completely up to the admin to do with as he
> > pleases, as it should be.
>
> That may be how it should be, but it's not really what we do. There's no
> real way of making a "no networking" runlevel, let alone a "multiuser;
> no networking" runlevel; if you have a service disabled in your current
> runlevel and upgrade it, it'll get started. There are probably some
> other related misfeatures/bugs too.

it will get started yes, but a link will NOT be put back where i
removed it (so long as i leave at least one of the links intact, even
if its a K link).

the starting daemons out of runlevel is a bug, which will be fixed by
invoke-rc.d whenever that goes in.

and of course installing a brand new daemon will drop links in all
runlevels, but that is far preferable since its predictable.  i KNOW
that there are now links for that daemon everywhere and can thus
customize it quickly.  with this hopelessly misguided LSB nonsense i
have to check each and every runlevel to see what the hell this
particular daemon decided to do.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/