Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:08:29PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> However the debian way of looking at this is, if you dont have/want
> xdm running, why the heck is it installed? If a package requires xdm
> (or some other daemon people think is runlevel dependant) the
> package can depend on xdm. And again if you dont run xdm is there a
> reason for having stuff that will only run with it running
> installed? I cant see a reason. Package dpendancies do all this
> fine, why introduce further dependanceis based on runlevels that may
> or may not be specified in the package dpends field.

Because you might not want xdm running all the time?  My laptop
doesn't start up xdm by default, since if I'm running in "airplane
mode" and am just doing development, I'll just run in console mode
only, and not starting up X or xdm saves memory, and saving memory
saves disk accesses, and saving disk access saves batteries.

If I do want to fire up xdm, I do so by typing the command "sudo telinit 5".

Having to continuously install and de-install xdm depending on whether
I want it to start would be.... tiresome.

							- Ted