Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 09:56:14AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> NOTE: this is cc-ed to submit@bugs.debian.org - remember to trim that
> address from the CC: header if you reply.

done.
I am CCing this to 102941@bugs.debian.org, to put the reply
to the relevant bug archive

> Package: tty-client
> Version: 0.13.alfa.6-1

>  Med lyskom kan du koppla upp dig till ditt favorit-LysKOM. Ett
>  LysKOM är ett datoriserat konferenssystem där du kan delta i
>  diskussioner, ställa frĺgor, och komma i kontakt med intressanta
>  människor.
>
> huh? the Description field should be in english, like all other
> packages.

why, if it is of no use for non-swedish speaking people?

there was a discussion about packaging this program, and the
consensus was that since it is useful (at least for swedes), there
is no reason to forbid packaging it....
Though, I would prefer if maintainer put the line saying
something like "This package (a client for swedish conferencing system LysKOM)
is interesting only to swedish-speaking people"
to the description, and the rest of description can be in swedish.

> there is no way for a non-swedish speaker to tell what the package is,

it is clear to me (though I do not know what LysKOM is, but there
are many clients for XXX where I have no idea what XXX is anyway)

> what is useful for, or even whether it is a generic tool or specific to
> a particular swedih service.
>

> it's bad enough that we don't have any real multilingual support for
> Packages files, but having multiple languages in the one Packages
> file makes it worse. that goes from requiring that debian users have
> a passing familiarity with one language (english) to having a passing
> familiarity with any and all languages. this not only makes it harder

again, why? if the description is in a language you do not understand,
then probably maintainer saw that it is of no use for people not speaking
that language.

> for debian users, it also hampers any translation efforts.
>
> if you want your native language in the Packages file (an admirable

it was not about native language, it was just that this package
is useful only to people who understand swedish already.

I have no problem with it, I just skip the package (the same as
I skip different packages targetted exclusively to CJK people)

> goal), then the thing to do is NOT to use random languages in the
> standard Packages file, it is to work on adding support for Packages.en,
> Packages.se, Packages.de, Packages.XX to dpkg, dselect, apt, and other
> tools.
>
> (i believe there is a project in progress to do that, but don't recall
> the details - try searching the debian-devel archives)
>

> also, if the package is specific to a particular service (LysKOM?)
> then it shouldn't use a generic name like tty-client, it should be
> lyskom-client or lyskom-tty-client.

depends on upstream name, I guess...