Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:44:49PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Given that system administrators can change and do change the meaning
> of each runlevel, any application that makes any assumptions on the
> meanings is simply broken.

exactly.

> I don't know of a good solution to the problem the LSB application maker faces,
> and it might be that making wild assumptions on the runlevel meanings is the
> best one available, but it's still not good.

they should ask why they are making assumptions about runlevels
anyway.  applications should never know nor care what runlevel they
are in, all they should care about is whether facilities they need are
up or not.  a well written initscript should be able to gracefully
deal with dependencies not being met.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/