Re: real LSB compliance

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 01:50:27PM -0700, David Schleef wrote:

> If LSB specifies that a distro-supplied install script is used to
> install/uninstall /etc/init.d scripts, does it really matter?  The
> install script could mangle the name as necessary.  (Or does the
> install script only pertain to /etc/rc.d/ links?)

LSB specifies that the install script is used to manage the /etc/rc.d
links; mainly to figure out what S??/K?? numbers should be used for an
init.d script which requires remote filesystems to be mounted, and so
on.  It's assumed that the package installation tool will have dropped
the init.d file into the /etc/init.d directory.

(BTW, I'll note that Red Hat originally didn't use /etc/init.d; it
used /etc/rc.d/init.d --- contrary to all of the kvetching and
bellyaching on the debian lists, we did try to spread the pain around,
and in this particular case, Red Hat was the odd distribution out, so
we specified /etc/init.d since that's what most distributions used
it.)

						- Ted