Re: LSB Compliance + DEB vs. RPM

Hi,

Cc-ing debian-devel for the sake of discussion.

Quoting Jiri Klouda (jk@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz):
> > Are you sick ?
Ok, this was maybe a bit unargumented.

> Well, I know that a lot of packages are not exact matches
> and some software is packaged very differently in several
> .deb and .rpm packages, but for a lot of software it would
> work. What is the problem? It would only improve the existing
> situation for cooperation of RPM and DEB and it could be
> fully optional for each package.
If you'd add information about every single distribution using .rpm,
packages and packages files would _bloat_.
Apart from that, rpm and .deb packages will very often not match at all, or
overlap, or be generally different in other points.
This would not work.
Did you think about the work involved in indexing this ?

If you want to build a functionality database of .deb and .rpm stuff, please
keep it seperate from the packaging format, it has nothing to do with it.

Greets,
	Robert
--
			      Linux Generation