Re: LSB bastards

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> If the software is DFSG-compliant, the LSB is and always will be a non-issue.
> Debian will assimilate that software in due time, do a better job of packaging
> it, and get the integration right where other distros will continue to
> flounder.

That's not necessarily the case.  A company/university/community may
have DSFG-free software which is of little interest to the wider
Debian community.  I may put together some software to give easy
access to systems at my wife's lab, or some visualization software for
home-grown apps.  I'd naturally like it to work across many
distributions, because I've got lots of opinionated users who won't
settle on a distro, and there's no change of getting it into every
distribution.

So, the LSB can be convenient even for DSFG stuff.  Certainly anything
DSFG-free _could_ be packaged officially for Debian, but in many
cases, it might never happen.

Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's ego.